
Did you know that PINK flamingos are actually genetically white? The reason they turn pink is because of their diet. They eat a special kind of crustacean that causes their feathers to turn a beautiful pink color. The same thing could happen to us. If we were to drink a lot of carrot juice our skin would begin to turn orange! I came across this inspiring fact as I was attempting to help my students better understand the concept of heredity...or as they like to to say it "Here Dity Dity!"
I have been facinated by flamingos ever since I saw them in the gardening section of Wal-mart(A place where a large portion of my childhood was spent...thanks to my parents).
The fact that eating a large amount of something can cause a change in our outward appearance has really caused me to think today. The things that we allow into our bodies have a huge affect on who we become. While this certainly applies to the delicious food we eat, I want to talk a little more seriously. The things we "feed" on can change who we are and how the world sees us. It reminds me of a quote from the funeral program of a childhood friend. " I want to live my life so that the people who don't know HIM, will want to know HIM, because they know me."
While I think it is important to ignore the evil things and thoughts of the world, I also think that it is important for us (and when I say us, I mostly mean me) to not forget about the beautiful and wonderful blessings we have been given that need to consumed! After all, it is its pink quality that causes the flamingo to stand out with beauty! What is something we can "eat" more of that will help us grow in beauty and uniqueness? Just something to think about....:)
Love, Nat

No comments:
Post a Comment