I'm a Mormon.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Parable of the Hair...IN MY SANDWICH!


Do you find it ironic that hair can be considered beautiful, shiney, and gorgeous when on a person's head, yet the moment it shows up in their sandwich it immediately becomes awful,disgusting and barf-a-licious?

Today I ordered a sandwich( from a place that will remain unknown to you) and after the second bite I noticed a hair poking out! Luckily, it was in the half still sitting on my plate and not in the half resting in my hand. Otherwise, I might have lost those 2 bites! My first thought was that it might be MY hair, since I have a lot of it. But I soon discovered that it wasn't, due to its darkness in color and curly attributes:)I quickly started to question the sandwich in my hand even though it appeared to be hair free. My stomach was getting tighter and tighter! I hated to waste a practically WHOLE sandwich that I had just PAID for and I wasn't in a situation to return it. Anyway, I will not tell you whether or not I finished the sandwich because I do not want to be judged. However, I would like to attempt to take something disgusting and make sense of it! If you haven't noticed I LOVE turning everyday moments and experiences into uplifting deep thoughts! I also needed something to get my mind off of how sick my stomach was beginning to feel.

Since this experience, my mind has been wrapped around THREE semi-related but mostly unique ideas. Enjoy!

#1: The sandwich contained SEVERAL yummy ingredients, yet it immediately became undesireable due to ONE tiny hair. I am convinced that it could have been the LARGEST sandwich in the world with every delicious condiment(love that word:) imagineable wrapped together in one giant sandwich-and that ONE tiny hair would still be enough to make me sick! Wouldn't it be great if everything in life that contained even the slightest bit of evil and sin look so disgusting to us? So much that we question wheather or not we are going to finish eating it? The movies, music, and TV shows that just have a tiny bit of language or private material sandwiched between inspirational, happy, and funny moments! I believe that all the good, positive, and successful things we do or accomplish in life will NEVER be enough to cover up or make up for any justifications, laziness, impure thoughts, or guilty pleasures.

#2 Isn't the power of ONE incredible. ONE hair can turn a whole sandwich "bad". What other SINGLE decision, experience, or thought can perhaps destroy our lives.

#3 Just as hair can be considered lovely, beautiful, and almost neccessary when on top our heads, yet disgusting and yucky when on our sandwich-I believe that everyone has a purpose and place in this life. Some are needed "inbetween bread" while others are needed "on top of heads". I hope I always remember that! We might not feel like we "fit in" or perhaps we might desire to be in a certain situation, relationship, or environment in which we don't belong (even if we enjoy being there). We might not realize WHY we don't belong in a certain place or cannot have a certain thing, but it is because we cannot see the entire picture. We are too small for that. However, God can! He needs us in certain places so that He can use us as His hands! If we *trust in Him we will find ourselves HAPPY in those places that we didn't think we wanted to be in:) I believe that with all my heart<3

Just some FOOD for THOUGHT!
Thanks for reading!
-Nat
* When I say trust, I mean we give Him our FULL heart- we don't let half of it continue wishing for the past, but rather we look forward knowing that He loves us and wants to give us something better than what we had before-that is how happiness is found!

3 comments:

the.kim.peterson said...

You're wonderful. P.S. I would've eaten it.

Our Happy Family said...

I'm thinking you didn't eat it.

lyn. said...

Hmmmm - I am seeing essence of Conference talks here... loved all three of them!!