I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Shell Lady

The night before we left The Big Island of Hawaii, I met an amazing friend! Her name is Marilyn, but most people just call her The Shell Lady:)



From across the beach she called to me and motioned for me to come over to where she was sitting. When I arrived she offered to give me her entire bag of sea glass and shells that she had found that day. At first I refused because I didn't want to take ALL of the treasures that she had discovered that day. I didn't know who she was, and thought that surely she wanted these treasures for herself. However, when she threatened to throw all of her shells back into the ocean if I didn't take them, I decided to accept her offer! Turns out she lives just across the street from the beach and spends day after day on the beach looking for shells and sea glass! I have never met anyone who knows more about shells than Marilyn. She truly is an expert and answered all of my questions:) At the end of each day she gives her shells away or leaves them in a bag on the shore with a note that says FREE! She finds joy in being at the beach and looking for the shells, but even more joy in giving them away!

I've thought a lot about Marilyn since I left Hawaii and what an amazing person she is! She is not a member of our church, but she has an amazing gift of love and is sure to make you laugh:) She doesn't have much, but yet she has found a way to serve and lift the people around her! She spreads joy in such a way that i'm sure has impacted many! She gave me more than just a bag of shells...she gave me an example that I hope to follow. Every time I look at her shells, I'll think of her and be reminded of her goodness. She is a friend that I hope to never forget:)

No comments: