I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Parable of the Flat Tire


Last summer as I was returning home from the Salt Lake Airport, I found myself stranded on the freeway with a flat tire. Still quite far from home...I felt completely alone. Having just dropped the majority of my family off at the airport, I didn't know who to call. The only family I had in town was my brother and his family. I knew that he would drop everything and come but I was too prideful and didn't want to inconvenience him in any way. Instead I pulled out a small book and opened to the page titled " How to Fix a Flat Tire". I began reading but soon felt overwhelmed because I wasn't even sure I understood step #1! I eventually got over my pride and I immediately knew what I needed to do...

To this day I am so grateful to the man who stopped and helped me fix my tire. He didn't know me and easily could have kept driving. In fact, by the way he was dressed, I'm sure that he was on his way to something more important. However, he was kind enough to go out of his way to help a stranded young girl who needed help. He not only fixed my tire but tried to explain what he was doing so that I might be more prepared in the future. Before I could even tell him thank you, he was gone.

My tire had been completely deflated and I assumed that upon reaching the nearest tire store I would be throwing the tire away and buying a completely new tire. I really didn't want to spend the money.

To my surprise the salesman told me that the hole in my tire was quite large but that he was confident he could fix it! He said that he could patch it making the tire seem new again.

I have often thought back to this experience and thought of myself as the tire. Sometimes I feel useless or like I've make a mistake that is non-fixable. I know that the atonement can "fix" us no matter how big our "hole" is or how useless and worthless we feel. The atonement can make us perfect again when we feel like we have fallen short of who we want to be or worry that we haven't done all we should have done.

I also know that Heavenly Father uses other people to answer our prayers. They might be complete strangers or long time friends...but no matter how alone we feel...we NEVER really are. People are put into our lives for a reason...I know it. I am grateful for the angels in my life who have helped me to believe that!

That day I felt extreme gratitude for people who live their lives in such a way that they can heed the promptings of the spirit and be an answer to someone's prayer. A stranger inspired me to live my life a little more perfectly and not only listen a little more carefully, but follow through.

This week as I have felt pain for those around me who are struggling, been forced to step into the dark, said goodbye to people who have not only loved me but changed me, and perhaps felt a little bit alone...I was reminded of this experience. Sometimes we want to be strong and independent just like I wanted to fix my tire without asking for help. The truth is we can't do everything on our own. We need to let others help us.

I now remember that I am NOT alone...I hope I can forget myself and go to work...

3 comments:

Hailey said...

Since you were giving permission, I read it and linked to it from my blog. I really like your parable. You never know what kind of an impact someone might have on you or how much of an impact you might have on others.

Neisha Hawkins said...

Nat,

Thanks so much for the thought! I loved it. You have been one of those angels in my life. I too believe all that you said! It is amazing to me the joy and clarity that is brought into my life from the knowledge of who I am as a daughter of God. I wish everyone could understand this! Thanks for your example and thoughts. :)
from Neisha

steph said...

Nat you are amazing. Thanks for your thoughts. Life can definately take unexpected turns but one thing I have learned is that those turns help us and may lead us to people who will help us, or teach us. It is amazing how much our Heavenly Father loves us an know what we need. Love ya Nat!