I'm a Mormon.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

1 sick day...

I can't believe it has already been a whole week! A whole week since I jinxed myself. A whole week since I gave up a part of my body so that I could go back to living...

Last Thursday while driving home from work, I had a sudden pain in my stomach. I thought I was just hungry, so I went home and ate dinner. After dinner, I REALLY didn't feel well. It was like a gigantic knot in the center of my stomach. I curled up in a ball and prayed that it would go away. It didn't.

It wasn't long before my dinner came back up. (I won't add details:)


Long story short.

After not sleeping a wink all night, I finally agreed to go to the ER and get some tests. You know, being in an emergency room you'd think the doctors would have been rushing around saving lives and dealing with emergencies, but they weren't. They took their sweet old time. In fact, after I got all drugged up- I was feeling pretty good and even got a little bored. Good thing I had my camera to keep me somewhat entertained:)


Anyway, after 5 hours of waiting and few rides in the bed on wheels, I got the news that I had appendicitis! My surgery would start as soon as I arrived at the next hospital over!
When I got there, the doctor didn't believe I needed surgery. He thought I looked a little too happy to be sick:) My mom assured them that if they had only seen me a few hours earlier they wouldn't need any other proof that something was wrong. I know I had a lot of drugs in my body, but I do remember a few things...

I probably shouldn't have asked them to save my appendix for me so I could take it to school for show and tell:)

The registration lady didn't think I really knew my own last name.

When I told them that I was absolutely sure that I wasn't pregnant-they still insisted on getting the proof.

The nurse asked me 8 times if I had any allergies.

I got another fun ride in a bed with wheels and even got to wear a paper dress with all sorts of secret pockets:).

I don't remember much else after that...but overall, they seemed like really nice people!

From the way they left me, I think they got A LOT more acquainted with me, than I with them. In fact when I received this card in the mail today, I didn't even recognize their names...
Although that wasn't the way I had hoped to spend my long weekend...I feel blessed with the timing and how quickly I have been able to recover! I now have a collection of 4 scars on my stomach and can say that in 3 years of teaching I HAVE taken 1 sick day:)

No comments: