Today my brain randomly wandered to an experience that happened over 8 years ago...
It was a summer afternoon and I was babysitting 2 of my younger cousins. We were playing in the street, when my cousin asked if I wanted to race him to the corner and back. We took off running, reached the corner, and headed back. My cousin was pretty fast and I was determined to beat him! We were almost to the "finish line" when I heard his 3 year old sister from behind screaming "Wait up!". Out of habit, I yelled back, "I'm waiting!". I might have slowed my pace a little, but reality was that I was still running. When she finally caught up to us she looked me in the eyes and with a sincere and confused face she said, "Natalie, what does wait up mean?" I don't remember how I replied, I don't even remember who won the race, or anything else about that day. But every so often that question burns in my heart.
I'm afraid that lately i've been saying some things out of habit.

1 comment:
Sometimes I want to tell all my married, baby popping friends to wait up.
Post a Comment